Rant: My Husband Will NEVER Get A Hall Pass From Our Marriage

Hall Pass movieLast Friday we went to see the new marriage comedy Hall Pass at the theater. The premise of the film is that two wives (played by Christina Applegate and Jenna Fischer) give their horny frustrated husband’s a one week “hall pass” from their marriages. Giving them seven days to not be married and do anything they want to do. Flirting, sex, binge drinking, you name it, it was all a go. (Not kidding!) The women did this based on the idea that giving a man one week to get what he thinking he’s missing out of his system will essentially make him miss it no more. Um, only on Planet Movie does that even remotely make sense! Spoiler alert: In the movie the wives realize the hall pass was really for them to get a break from their bitchy husbands and a test to see if they were really happy in their marriages. Now this concept I found to be even sillier. Since when does a woman need to let her man roam free from responsibility to decide whether or not he’s the one for her? I’m thinking maybe she should have thought about that before she got married!

Interestingly enough The Man laughed his way through the entire film while I dozed off about halfway through it. I found the entire plot line to be so implausible that it bored me to pieces, meanwhile my husband was just a tad bit more amused than I’d like him to have been. I’ll give him a pass on finding the idea to be entertaining, but if he thinks he’ll ever get a “hall pass” from our marriage, he can most certainly think again. Although marriage is hard work and often complicated, how we arrive there is a lot simpler and can be summed up like this: If a man asks you to marry him it’s because he’s decided that he knows enough about you, and life with you, to know that he wants to spend the rest of his by your side. He’s decided that he doesn’t want to love anyone else but you, or sleep with anyone else but you. That’s a big decision, but the rules that come with it are clearly not that hard to gather.Hall Pass Movie Poster

So, I ask, why on earth would he go ahead and say “I do” only to ask “do I really?” years or months later? Be sure before you make the commitment buddy! So you’re frustrated that you don’t get to be “intimate” as much as you’d hoped, or you’re mad that you spend more time chauffeuring around the kids than watching the game? Didn’t you do your research before you married your wife? That sort of undesirable stuff comes with the territory! But remember boys, there’s a lot of great stuff that comes along with marriage too. In fact, more good than bad! (Think: A cuddle buddy for life, a best friend, an in-house cheerleader, and of course love!) So what on earth would you want a hall pass for? You signed up for a class that never ends honey. So grab a seat, get comfortable, and start taking notes so you can ace the test! Okay?

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in Marriage..., Wife Gripes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Rant: My Husband Will NEVER Get A Hall Pass From Our Marriage

1. Ida says:

Never tempt fate! Never!

2. Katrina says:

I wasn't interested in the movie but I assumed that the men would simply realize that their single and carefree days weren't all that great and that they really were blessed to have a family…or whatever.

I think the point of the movie was to give people that kind of outlet that they wouldn't really do in actual life. Or maybe learn lessons through someone else's experiences.

But, I also think the idea of a hall pass is interesting; especially considering many married people all ready have those 'perks.'

3. Lossidele says:

My. That was a rant. :)

I think everyone can get slightly bored with and tired of any long-standing commitment at some point simply because, as you stated, it is a lot of work. And it often becomes monotonous work. I can understand needing a break for sanity's sake, but this movie sounds like it took that premise a little too far.

4. Denise says:

Just comes back to that whole issue of having unrealistic expectations before marriage (at least a lot of the time). I thought the movie was hilarious, mainly because I don't have any good sense of my own. But nah partner… won't be no issuing of hall passes at the Anderson household. No, ma'am!
    My recent post Happily Lame- Why I Don’t Need a “Hall Pass”

5. the MRS. says:

No. NEver.

I wouldn't want one, and I would never grant one.

6. Sara says:

Love your bog! Found it via Sits cocktail.
    Was curious if you found the movie funny? I liked the hangover and thought this might be similar. No hall pass my hubby either….
    My recent post Happy Birthday Dr Seuss!

Hey Sara!! Thank you!!! I actually didn't find it funny at all. I was struggling to stay awake from the beginning and about midway through I caved and curled up on The Man's shoulder. He on the other hand found it to be hilarious!!

7. bestessay says:

This marriage hall is too much beautiful. My friend's husband would like to pass the other marriage in this hall. After it, the first and needful purposes can be much afforded and needful hall. Everyone wants to get marriage in this hall.