Although I personally believe that every day should be a day of thanks for the blessings in your life, it’s that very special time of year again where we come together and appreciate the love in our lives. Better known as Thanksgiving of course. Perhaps like many of you, I’ve been reflecting a lot lately about the good in my life that balances the bad. Truthfully, I have a lot to be thankful for right now – my marriage being the number one thing on that list.
If you’re married, that’s a blessing – whether you’re having a rough patch or the time of your life – it’s a gift, and you mustn’t forget it. Part of making your marriage work is making sure neither of you ever take it for granted – ever! I made a little list of the 5 reasons I feel a husband or wife should be thankful for their marriage. Give it a read and let me know if you’d edit or add to it in any way. As always, feel free to join in.
1. You’ve found a partner for life. Seriously, what’s better than that? Yes, we’re born alone, but I’d like to think when you pick the right life partner, you have a true friend ‘til the end. That’s beautiful.
2. You’ve found someone who gets you. We’ve all had moments where we felt misunderstood in some way. One of the best things about marriage is that those moments are no more.
3. Even on the lonely nights you’re not really alone. Two people in a marriage don’t always feel like they’re on the same page, but just by agreeing to disagree they’re still working together, and they have each other.
4. You have someone in your life that loves you enough to tell the truth. A good spouse won’t lie to you, even when they can tell you want them to. When that shirt is a tad too tight, or you’ve had one too many glasses of wine, they’re there to tell you. Everyone needs honesty in their world.
5. You plus them equals family. Whether you’re miles away, estranged from, or just not getting along with your family, home is where your spouse is – without question. When you have no one else, you have each other.