The first year of marriage is like that super coaster at the amusement park you always went to as a kid. You remember the one. It’s super fast, scary as hell in some places, turns your world upside down momentarily, more fun than you can stand at times, and has a dip here and there that makes you feel sick to your stomach, though it passes before you actually puke. Ultimately, it’s one heck of a ride and to survive it with a smile on your face you need to wear your seat belt and keep your hands inside the cart at all times. I’d like to think the following phrases are like those seatbelts to protect you during your first year or marriage — they keep you safe when the turns are the roughest, but aren’t so stiff that you can’t enjoy the ride.
1. “I don’t agree, but I still love you.”
2. “We’re in this together.”
3. “I won’t let you go to bed angry with me.”
4. “I don’t want to fight anymore. Truce?”
5. “I choose to talk about it.” (My personal favorite.)
6. “Let’s just get this out in the open.”
7. “I’d rather have sad times with you, than good times with someone else.”
8. “Can we agree to disagree?”
9. “I’m sorry.”
10. “It doesn’t hurt to try.”
11. “I need a moment.”
12. “Please take that back.”
13. “You’re right.” (The Man’s go-to argument-ender.)
What do you find yourselves saying to each other to make it through?