Last week when I blogged about the things a wife should always defer to her husband on, I promised that I’d follow it up with a post about the reverse. Well, I’m a woman of my word! So here goes part two of that discussion. Husbands listen up!
1. Speak to police officers. Guys, you can’t win this one. Whether you two have just been busted for speeding or you’re trying to negotiate your way out of a parking ticket or tow, there’s just no way a police officer (male or female) would rather hear from you. Let your wife present your case and handle any and all debating. If you don’t want a ticket, that is. I’m a firm believer that we women just have a way of explaining things with more logic and less passion in the heat of the moment. Men are more likely to come over as arrogant or out of control than women are nine times out of ten. Fall back fellas and let her do her best, and you might just walk away with a warning or lesser fine. In my experience, when Gibran starts talking the cops stop listening. I on the other hand have had much better luck getting over.
2. Sort the laundry. Gibran has shrunk so many of my sweaters and dresses that I could probably donate an entire wardrobe to a small child. The whole reading the care labels thing just never seems to click for him, and in his language “Dry Clean Only” translates to “wash with delicates”. Now, I’m not saying all men do this, but from the gripes I hear out there the majority of you guys are guilty as charged! Don’t even get me started on Gibran putting my lights and my darks together. Now on the one hand I feel guilty complaining at all because I’m grateful he helps out with household duties, but on the other hand my heart breaks every time I pull something out of the dryer four sizes smaller than it was when it went in there. Our solution: I sort. He loads. If you’ve been burned like I have ladies you should try it.
3. Load the dishwasher. It’s not rocket science, but my husband makes the idea of putting glassware up top and cookware down below seem like brain surgery. (Sorry babe, but it’s true!) I have literally given him a dishwasher loading tutorial hundreds of times and every time I let him load unattended I wind up finding chipped glasses and crusty plates. The truth is, I just don’ t think he cares! Luckily, I do.
4. Bathe or groom your pet. Certain tasks require a little extra tender love and care. Bathing our fur-baby is one of them. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t feel very manly when he’s scrubbing bubbles on an eight pound dog, or maybe he just doesn’t like the idea of brushing anyone’s hair other than his. I don’t know. But I do know the first and last time The Man bathed The Dog unattended she looked like she’d strolled through a car wash off-leash and then walked through a wind storm. Then poor Karma spent the rest of the evening trying to shake all the water from her ears. My poor baby! So needless to say I handle her tub time these days.
- Your Man Says He Likes You Just the Way You Are, But Do You? (manwifeanddog.com)
- Why I Am Sleeping On The Couch (For Now!) (manwifeanddog.com)
- 4 Things You Should Always Let Your Husband Handle (Even If He Knows You Can) (manwifeanddog.com)