Hot Topic: Can Vanessa Bryant Get a Break? How Much Is Your Pain Worth?

News broke today that Vanessa Bryant, former wife of LA Lakers star Kobe Bryant, has received quite a hefty divorce settlement, as many expected. TMZ is reporting that Vanessa will receive $75 million dollars and three multi-million dollar properties – the home she and Kobe lived in with their two daughters, the new home they’d been building for the last two years, and the home her mom lived in, which the couple owned. Wow!

Now, as I said before when news of her divorce filing and his infidelity first broke, this woman has clearly been patient and no one can argue that after 11 years and one seriously embarrassing public cheating scandal, she doesn’t deserve an out if she wants one. Plus, it’s rumored their marriage ended because she found out he had stepped out on her once again. Yet, there was an outpouring of outrage today on the web with comments flooding in about how Vanessa “doesn’t deserve that much” and is “taking Kobe for all he’s worth”. Um, he’s worth double that people, and don’t you think she’s entitled to half of “their net worth”? Granted it’s astronomically larger than the averages person’s worth, but the rules are the rules no? But really, all of that aside, one has to ask, how much is heartbreak worth?

If I publicly and privately stood by my husband after he repeatedly cheated on me and drug our family name through the mud and media circus time and time again, only to find out that he broke his promise and had committed adultery once again I’d be pretty torn up about it. Seriously, pieces of my heart could be found lying throughout our home. If I had a chance to ease some of the pain with the comfort of knowing both me and our children would be more than taken care of for life, I’d surely go for it. It’s no cure for a broken heart, but it’s the best bandage you’re ever going to find. Really, how much is heartache and pain worth when a marriage goes sour? I don’t think you can put a dollar amount on the pain a man or woman feels when they find out the one they loved and trusted deceived them greatly. And since you cannot name a price, how can any one amount be too much or too little? All the stacks of money in the world won’t make the pain go away, but moving on with your life will – eventually.

What do you think? Can you put a price on pain when divorce strikes? Should the haters cut Vanessa some slack and let the woman grieve? Or are you thinking she should have just walked away and left it all? Thought, please.

This entry was posted in Hot Topics, News and Notes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Hot Topic: Can Vanessa Bryant Get a Break? How Much Is Your Pain Worth?

1. Melisa says:

She took what was rightfully hers, and what the law says is hers due to prenups, etc. I didn't see any backlash when Elgin left Tiger, wonder what the issue is here. Do people just not like her? We do not know what she put up with that the public is not privy to, she deserves the lifestyle that she is accustomed to, as do the kids. And if all else fails…there is always BBW – LA!

2. Ronnye says:

My take is from another angle…damn, I went to grad school, I have a MBA work in higher ed administration – great professional job, and will never know what that kind of $$$ looks like. Did she finish high school?
    Life ain't fair!! :0

Oh boy do I hear you Ronnye. The fact that we live in a world where athletes and models earn more than doctors, scientists and teachers blow my mind daily!

3. myloverswife says:

I totally think that Vanessa gamed the system by staying in the marriage long enough to ensure that she would get a hefty payout. But I’m puzzled by the thought that she is taking half of his money. Why is it “his” money? Just because one spouse works outside of the home does not mean that their monetary contribution to the family is all theirs. All monies / property that come into a marriage belong to both parties. She is getting her share of the marital assets.

Exactly. This whole idea that it's "his" money whenever the word divorce comes up gets me every single time.I know a lot of people agree with you about her sticking around for that magic number 10, but I just keep thinking to myself, isn't ten years a long time to be in a loveless marriage? An even longer time to fake it? But hey, maybe that's why so many people call gold-digging a sport. Who knows….she earned a piece either way in my eyes. Here's to hoping the love was real.

4. Thank, Q says:

Here's a man's perspective. Like you said, rules are rules. Kobe, living in Cali, knows that he was going to give up a grip if it came to divorce. He actually lucked out because I thought that Vanessa would wind up with even more.

From a common sense perspective, no one, man or woman, who comes into a relationship with nothing deserves that type of pay out. The laws for divorce are extremely unfair when it comes to celebrities if you ask me. Unless there's proof that a spouse helped to build the wealth, then why should anything other than a reasonable amount of spousal support be offered? Keyword being "reasonable." None of this "I'm accustomed to this" type of garbage.

People cheat all of the time (unfortunately), but just because he has a lot of money she's entitled to $75m of it? Sucks for broke people who get divorce and wind up with nothing. I guess they should make better decisions on who they marry and only go for the rich types.

Ultimately, I don't blame her. She got what the law allows. I blame the law and I blame Kobe for not being mature:

A) his parents told him not to marry Vanessa
    B) he was too immature to be married in the first place
    C) if you decide you want to be married, then don't cheat
    My recent post Oh, Please Let This Be True!

5. People who minimize infidelity and the emotional cost amaze me. The foundation of marriage should always be fidelity. So many have made a mockery of marriage that people forget this simple fact. Kobe made his choice. He chose infidelity over his money, because he obviously didn't care about his wife and children. Just like she couldn't control what Kobe did with his "male member", he couldn't control her feet "walking out the door" whether it was 5 years in to the marriage or " strategically " 10 years in. In my opinion it takes a lot of "strategy & forethought " to cheat on your spouse multiple times as well. Bottom line, he could have saved his money with a simple pre-nup. These type of multi-million dollar settlements are what brought about the rise in pre-nups any way. 30 years ago, nobody even really knew what a pre-nup was, now you have guys who make $60K or less talking about them !!! This only matters to people because of the astronomical amount of money involved. When Michael Jordan & Tiger woods got divorced it was the same thing. The average Joe who goes through a divorce usually has to split all the equity in his house, his 401K, any cash savings & pay child support too. It is just relative to his income. So what is the difference ? Eddie Murphy has been talking about "Half " for over 20 years ! Even if Vanessa had a Doctorate Degree & made $300K a year, it still would not compare to his income & people could always make the same argument that he was the "breadwinner". But they are married & marital assets are marital assets. Period. Why do people want to blame the law, when they know what the law is when they decide to get married. I personally am glad the laws exist, because all this commentary on the web just proves if it was left up to the man to determine what you would get, it would ALWAYS be something close to nothing. And this is what I want to know, if everybody thinks $75 million is too much for her & her two children, why doesn't anyone question whether $150 million is too much for Kobe ? In the grand scheme of things, he plays basketball, he is not saving the world, and he himself is no Rhodes Scholar ! I am sure that he can live more than a comfortable life on a fraction of that, so why the double standard ? Because he "earned " it ? This whole debate is utterly ridiculous !
    Sorry for blogging in your comments but I just had to get in on this.
    My recent post Funny Friday Vol. 3

6. majo says:

agreed. i don't know why people are hating on her. 11 years is a loooong time to stay with someone who exposes you to STD's , dragged your name through the mud (remember the rape scandal?) and only said sorry with a diamond ring. puh lease. i'm glad she is getting half

7. Sonia says:

This is just how it goes when woman marry well. Once they divorce, then they go to the cleaners. If he cheated on me, he would get what was coming to him, but it's the price for being a high profile figure and when you marry, that is what prenups are for. Does she deserve that much? Who knows, but you have to remember, for 10 years she is accustomed to living a certain way and quite naturally she wants to keep that. Now that they have kids, that only sweetens the pot and now he has to pay child support and alimony.

Either way with no prenup, you will pay.
    My recent post 14 Free Creative Social Media Tools For 2012

8. jessica says:

vanessa your true of what u said look vanessa i feel u u dont have to go through this because he just loves u of ur looks not ur heart i think thats what but if u wanna go it your choice

9. Shame it had to come to this. Our men have to do better. Now she is a single mother with 2 girls. He had better do right by those girls because they grow up and know what's happening. Honestly, she got a lot, but I thought she was going to walk away with more cash. But the divorce seemed to have been quick and drama-free.
    Life ain't fair!! :0

10. The scientific action achieving the broad goal of making duel issues part of the brooder educational will require. The number of specific action they may under taken separately by differently organization.

11. @Qadir_bhai says:

Thank you so much meant for ad an extremely terrific report! I recently found your blog post perfect for my best necessities. It contains terrific together with practical articles or blog posts. Stick to beneficial financial job!
    muscular thighs

12. @Qadir_bhai says:

such a sad story, I pity the poorlady. <a href="http://www.rushessay.com” target=”_blank”>www.rushessay.com she will have to grow these two lovely little girls all by her self, this man should pay more price because of what he did.

13. I have no idea why they decided to divorce, because they looked really happy and perfectly awesome together. And now I'm sad because of this divorce. But I'll get better as I get to http://lord-of-the-ocean-slot.com/ and win my first money. If you feel same sad, go wit& me and let's find a way to get better together.

14. drug rehab says:

Oh really! I am little surprised by this post. Vanessa looking nice in this picture.