What Does Your Desk Say About Your Marriage?

Remember that time my refrigerator “décor” triggered a little reflection about how we live and run our lives? Well, it happened again – only this time it was at work. I believe that the way we decorate and arrange the things around us says a lot about who we are, and sometimes who we want to be. (Quick confession: Each year of college I decorated my apartment based on certain laws of feng shui.)

I took this photo of my desk at work on my iPhone and as I stared at it, it got me to thinking – as usual. They say we spend 80 percent or so of our life at work, making your workplace more like home than, well, your actual home. (Sucks, right?) That being so, what I saw in this photo brought a smile to my face. My home is filled with a lot of love, and as you can see, my desk is too…

Granted, as a Relationships Editor for a popular website, it’s my job to focus on love, sex, and, of course, weddings – but it never said anywhere within my job description that I had to (literally) graffiti my cube with the notion of love. Yet, I did it anyway. And I’m glad I did. I like what it says about me…

When I come to work every day, I see affirmations that love should be fierce, our sex life should always be entertaining, and that weddings represent a wonderful time in our lives. I also see my favorite family photo (see it there below?) proudly on display, which I put there to serve as a constant reminder of what all the long and crazy work days are really about – making life better for them, for us. If you walk by my work space, you will know that I value love and family. It says that I’m an eternal optimist who enjoys looking back on the good times, and that they keep me moving forward!

What does your desk say about your life? Your family? How about your relationship or marriage? More than you think, I bet. Share a photo or your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in The Little Things, The Wife's Scrapbook, Totally Random. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to What Does Your Desk Say About Your Marriage?

1. Krys Talley says:

I like this article! I agree, how we organize & decorate the spaces we occupy most says a lot about us. I have my old bouquet sitting in a vase on my desk, along with my bible, and journal. Hmm…what does that say about me?! lol…I’m definitely a Christian, I love my married life, and I absolutely love to write about christianity and my married life. You’re right on point with this theory! LOL

2. Beth says:

I think this is great…….I am one all bout Love & Marriage too. It makes me want to add and spice up my cube n desk even more. Thank you for inspiring me. :)

3. Uh oh, let's not forget my Hello Kitty bracelet holder my son gave me from his happy meal (they always mess up his toy). lol

4. @USAlovelist says:

Hmmm…. I don't know what my desk says about my marriage, but I can see that it says a lot about me. The walls of my office are painted a vibrant, bright color. My desk is a crazy mess of post-its, notes, pin boards, and gadgets, but upon closer look, there are a lot of files and other organizational tricks going on. I also have a lot of notes, samples, tags and packages I've been collecting from American-made products I want to write about. I actually did take a pic but wasn't quite sure how to post it here, but looking at the photo was interesting.

On the topic of marriage, did you see the NY Times article this past weekend about the importance of Generosity in marriage. It is right up there in importance with great sex and can go along way toward bridging the inevitable gaps in long relationships. I think this is an important message for everyone, but particularly for the young couples in your audience. Let's see… thank you Google… here'a a link.
    My recent post Made in USA Gift Idea: Don't buy stuff

5. Amber says:

I agree on all points! I have my vision board for the year and lots of pictures of my daughter (duh! new mommy, here! lol) and of course my husband. I have lotion, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, and sometimes candy. I like for people to have the warm and fuzzies when they sit at my desk, and often times, they do. :) Great post!
    My recent post Sipping with the Enemy: My Guiltiest, Guilty Pleasure

6. fahmi says:

It kind of leaves out the fact that sometimes you have to keep things a little simple, a little basic, because of the work setting. I worked for a lot of large investment banks in my day, and we all had tasteful photos of family, some experiences, but it was all quiet decor, and not anything to really attract attention when walking by. Working with weddings/babies, etc, sure, I was a little bit more colorful and free with my decor, but at my current job, we get a lot of high-powered executives and sales meetings, so we are again back to being a little understated.

7. Jackie says:

Great article! About to take a look at my desk…:) Thanks Charlie!

8. TheProDiva says:

I always look at my coworkers' desks and make judgments about the most important things in their lives. One of my coworker's desk is filled with all things relating to shoes, so I assume she's a shoe lover. Another coworker has nothing but dog pictures and frames on her desk…she love dogs. I tend to have several pictures of my family all over my office, which makes complete sense because my family means everything to me! I love your desk by the way…very festive!
    My recent post Martini Thursday!!!

9. Lisa says:

That's an inspiring piece for me – been too busy lately to have mine look like anything. At work and home. Yikes…it would be nice to have a pleasant spot like yours.
    My recent post 6 Tips To Getting It All Done During Christmas Time

10. Sonia says:

Not married, but my desk needs some work. I never looked at it like that and I have sticky notes of things I have to get done everywhere. Interesting analogy. Thanks Charli, something to think about.
    My recent post How To Celebrate Your Wins To Create More Success

11. I like this article! I agree, how we organize & decorate the spaces we occupy most says a lot about us. I have my old bouquet sitting in a vase on my desk, along with my bible, and journal. Hmm…what does that say about me?! lol…I'm definitely a Christian, I love my married life, and I absolutely love to write about christianity and my married life. You're right on point with this theory! LOL