Marriage Isn’t a Joke (The Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries Lesson)

As most of you may have heard by now, Kim Kardashian has filed for divorce from her new husband Kris Humphries after just 72 days of marriage. Yup, no typos here. The pair was only married for 72 days! Her reasons for calling it quits? “Irreconcilable differences” is what the divorce papers say. Now, I can’t say I didn’t see this coming. Didn’t we all? It’s been fairly obvious from day one that she seemed more intent on making money from her nuptials than she did on starting a life and family with Kris. That much is clear. However, she did walk up to an altar, stand beside him, and take vows before her God, family, and friends. Does that mean nothing anymore?

When did marriage become something we do for money and fame, and not a spiritual union we’re responsible for upholding, cherishing, and devoting ourselves to? I don’t really care what she does with her life – she’s the one that has to sleep at night – but I am concerned with the message celeb stories like hers will send to those who do look up to her.

Marriage is not a joke or a game! It doesn’t matter whether you’re sitting on stacks of cash or don’t have a penny to your name, vows are vows, people. If you say them, you should mean them. Now, short of him beating on her or causing her some sort of irreparable physical or emotional harm, I can’t see what reason any wife who meant the words she vowed at the altar would have for giving up on her husband and her marriage in less than 90 days. Wow! Absolutely inexcusable.

If you don’t want to get married, fine. It’s your business and I won’t judge. However, if you do, or you are, please know that no one ever said it’d be easy and I’m pretty sure your loved ones didn’t come together to watch you vow to one another to stick it out until you just don’t feel like it anymore.

I won’t even get into the fact that she spent 10 million dollars on her wedding, earned 18 million from selling the rights and photos from every moment, and then turned around and slapped her hubby-to-be with an air tight prenuptial agreement I’m sure he’s already deeply depressed about signing. The whole thing is just a sad, sad, mess. Shame on Kim Kardashian. I’m just thankful didn’t waste 2-hours of my life watching the total bullshit that was her E! wedding special.

This entry was posted in Hot Topics, News and Notes, Wife Gripes. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Marriage Isn’t a Joke (The Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries Lesson)

1. This whole thing has me pretty annoyed and pissed off. Why? Because she didn't even have the respect to pretend to be married for a year. She is straight laughing at everyone about this and how we played right into it. But marriage is real!

2. Attorney2be says:

I didn’t waste on second of my time watching the wedding. I am not any one who gives her ratings. But to make a mockery out of the sanctity of marriage is horrific. But she has to answer to God not me. If she likes it I love it. Shes not the first and I’m sure she won’t be the last.

3. SLS says:

Well from watching my share of the Kardashians, it seems like she loves very hard. Maybe she fell fast and hard but did not recognize the "work" that goes into a marriage. They both share responsibility for the demise of their quick wedding- a quick courtship, engagement and rush to the altar doesn't really afford a lot of time to get to know each other. I don't know if that makes her take marriage lightly or make her foolish and naive. Either way I hope they both find the happiness that has alluded them in this relationship.

4. Blacktrimony says:

Not surprised by the divorce, we all knew it was a farce. Just hope parents parent and don’t let the TV raise your kids.

My sentiments exactly. It's so important kids so positive marriage role models, yet sadly they look up to people like Kim Kardashian instead….#smh

5. Scot Hacker says:

Is Kim a friend of yours? Or someone famous? Sounds like the latter from the amount of money spent!
    My recent post We found this beetle on a hike six months ago and have been keeping it as a pet

6. melissa says:

I have to say that I wasn't really very shocked. I am not a fan of her reality show, however in a moment of weakness watched a couple of back to back episodes. I quickly came to the conclusion that her upcoming marriage was based on ratings. All part of a business transaction. I am sure she feels really empty inside.

7. natashawilliams says:

I didn't think for a minute their marriage would last, but I did give them at least a year. Really, 72 days..who does that? She had no intentions of staying married to him for the long haul.

8. Guest! says:

I just think it's a shame when some people think gay marriage ruins the sanctity of marriage. *sigh*

9. They totally made marriage into some kind of business transaction. I must say that I am disgusted. If this continues, marriage will not be seen as a sacred and spiritual union anymore. We will have nothing to look forward to.
    My recent post The New Do: Football

10. Mrs. Pancakes says:

It's a real damn shame what she is doing in the name of marriage….i believe it has gone to her head. at the end of the day we don't know all the happened but really all the money in the world cannot make you happy! it's a shame really!
    My recent post Marriage Mockery in the Media!

11. Thank, Q says:

I agree! I spent the last day or two joking on Twitter about this debacle, but the act of marriage isn't a laughing matter. Society has turned it into "something to do," especially since it's so easy to get a divorce now. There's no long shame in being divorce just like there is no longer shame in being an unwed mother. I never saw this marriage as anything other than a business arrangement and it's sad that is the case. Sometimes I think so many people in this country don't even know how to love.
    My recent post #Tebowing? Seriously?

12. It is an absolute shame! I don't understand how people treat marriage like some sort of game that they can just quit whenever……crazy!
    My recent post Advice to fellow southerners when traveling north

13. SpeakOfMarriage says:

Hey, you know someone's playing games when they have 1. An escape plan 2. Predetermined reasons to leave 3. Have a big "I".
    My recent post When You’re Not Ready

14. Dr. Reginia says:

Great post.

When people like Kim K mock marriage it cheapens the institution and covenant. Unfortunately, I've known women who are in their early 30s who have married 2 and 3 times. I don't get it. Marriage should be a life long union unless extenuating circumstances develop. 72 days of marriage is a sick presentation of the union. Kim K should be ashamed and so should her "brand".

15. Jenn says:

Yes, this just disgusts me. I mean the ink was barely dry on the marriage license. But like you said, it is not surprising. So many people including Kim K are in love with the thought of marriage but when it comes to putting in the time and hard work they bail. I didn't watch the nuptials but I heard that it just barely aired on E and then this a week or so later.
    My recent post Menu Plan Monday

16. edmond0925 says:

Absobloodylutely!! Their marriage was probably just a show.. It's really sickening!
    My recent post Winter Dog Walks

17. I am not sure if I felt like she got married solely for money. I think that she really has a desire to be married or be a in long term relationship. Think about it all she went thru with Reggie, all the back and forth. Soon as they broke up she was actively looking for someone new. She got him and they broke up and went looking again. She really desires to be with a man. I think just so happened she found a guy that would marry her to help his career and then she thought why not make money off the wedding. Most people in that situation would do the same. Look at the stars that got married in the recent. I do not agree with it at all but she is not the only one that has done it.
    My recent post Coming Soon!

18. But I thought it was obvious he did not really care for her with all he shows leading up to the wedding. I think her desire to be married over ruled her good judgment to find a man that really loves her. She deserves love like everyone else. People think that just because she had a few scandalous moments in the past lead to fake marriage. I think the biggest thing fake was their real affection for each other. He wanted fame and she wanted to be loved and married.
    My recent post Women Game Changers- Chrysta Bairre

19. The Student says:

Actually the wedding special was 4 hours. LOL! I am under the impression that Kim never truly understood the seriousness of the covenant of marriage. She and Kris had lots of issues during the planning process and he even told her that he thought that she just wanted a wedding, not a marriage and it seemed like she could just slot any guy into his position as groom…that's how much he felt his ideas were left out of the planning process. I will say though, his response to finding out the Kim filed for divorced had me a little convinced that it wasn't all a sham. He said something to the effect that he loves his wife and will do anything to make the marriage work. Then he went on to say that he still stands by everything that the covenant of marriage represents. Those are some very serious words which indicate to me that he knew something about the covenant of marriage with respect to what the Word of God says…Kim on the other hand…*shrugs shoulders*. All I can say is that it's never too late to learn. Wishing them both the best.

20. Tony Scott says:

Is she really a reality TV star? Than she should know that part of a real marriage is adjusting to the difference between you and your partner.

Too bad for Humpries. He should have looked for someone saner that that woman.

21. Kaz says:

what's happening with this people? Marriage isn't a game, how come they act like if it's a big joke? well maybe it's a part of a "SHOW"?
    My recent post Non Chexsystems Banks in New York