A Very Special Meet A Wife Monday: One Year Ago Today I Married My Best Friend

charli and gibran's wedding at the stonehouse at stirling ridge

One year ago....a new chapter began!

Today is a very, very special day here on Man Wife and Dog Blog! It’s Man and I’s first wedding anniversary!!! We’ve hit the one-year mark and we couldn’t be happier with how wonderful our first year of marriage has been.

One year ago today I married my best friend. We have been a blessing to each other since the beginning, but this first year of marriage was so precious to us.

We dove in with smiles and paddled our way through it with love, hope, and encouragement. We learned so much about marriage in just the first 365 days (post to come later!) and we look forward to the many lessons the future holds.

This week’s edition of Meet A Wife Monday is a special one. I’m dropping by to share some marriage wisdom this time. Get to know us a little better! Happy Monday!

The Wife: Charli, 29

The Man: Gibran, 31

But You Can Call Them: The Watkins

Stonehouse at stirling ridge weddings Charli and Gibran october fall wedding new jersey

The moment we'll never forget

How I Snagged My Man: A mutual friend who thought we’d be “perfect for each other” introduced us at a barbecue and I played (very) hard to get. He patiently and persistently pursued me until I gave in and let him take me on the my last and best ever first date.

Married Since: 10.17.10 (One year ago, today!)

The Dog: Karma the Yorkie, 3

Place They Call Home: A two-bedroom apartment in Bloomfield, NJ with a great closet!

How She Pays the Bills: Relationships Editor for ESSENCE.com and founder of Man Wife and Dog Blog

How He Pays the Bills: Manager, Home Depot

What Makes My Man Hot: He has a huge heart, a stacked body, and the sexiest laugh I’ve ever heard.

bride getting ready for wedding with bridesmaids

I was so excited to meet Gibran at the altar.

A Wife Highlight: There’s nothing like being married to your best friend. When I come home from a bad day, Man always has a “good surprise” waiting for me. He’s like chocolate – he always makes things better!

A Wife Gripe: After seven years of cohabitation, I still cannot get used to sharing my bed with a man who tosses and turns and a dog who thinks she owns the place. I often sneak off to spend a blissful night on the couch when they’re not looking, and I would almost be open to separate bedrooms once the lights go out for good. ;-)

Marriage Mantra: Good. Better. Best. We never let it rest, until our good is better, and our better is best. (See why here!)

charli and gibran new jersey fall wedding

Every single minute of that day was perfect.

The 2-Year Plan: I’m proud to say we JUST carved out a new plan for year 2 and 3 of our marriage and I’m super proud of it. Year 2 will be about saving, and growing past our current hurdles. Year 3 is baby making time! Yes, it’s official – we’re making a baby in 2013! (For all those who keep asking!)

first dance photos at wedding charli and gibran

Yes, this girl landed her prince.

Wifey Wisdom: Communication is EVERYTHING. If you don’t talk about it, you can’t work on it, and you damn sure can’t fix it!

couple cutting wedding cake photo

honeymoon drawing in the sand wedding date

Happy honeymooners

This weekend we decided instead of making one big fuss we’d just fill both days with doing all the things we love to do together — things like, sip milkshakes in the park, “get lost” on the highway, and get silly at the casino — and it was amazing!

When’s your anniversary? How do you celebrate?

This entry was posted in Married Life, Meet A Wife Mondays, The Big Things and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to A Very Special Meet A Wife Monday: One Year Ago Today I Married My Best Friend

1. anna says:

happy anniversary to your beautiful couple!:)

2. *i* says:

Happy Anniversary! :)

3. Twitter Bestie says:

Happy Anniversary, TB!

4. Brenda says:

Happy Anniversary and may you have many MANY more!

5. Happy Anniversary, wishing you many, many more. Sounds like a great weekend!

My recent post 10 Things husbands should NOT say out loud

6. Quiana says:

Happy anniversary! How fun to see you featured as your own Meet a Wife Monday =) LOVE "He’s like chocolate – he always makes things better!" and so happy to hear babymaking in 2013! Congratulations! Maybe I'll be ready for #2 by then and we can meet up for a play date ;-)
    My recent post Kreativ Blogger: My First Blog Award!

7. kita says:

Happy Anniversary to you.

8. Happy Anniversary love birds! You and The Man look great together and I love your marriage mantra!
    My recent post Your Loss Defines Me

9. nylse says:

happy anniversary, congratulations and may you have many more! a good marriage is like fine wine that comes better over time!!!

My recent post Being a Wife

10. Congrats! Happy Anniversary. We just celebrated our anniversary on Oct 15. Love the pictures!
    My recent post Menu Plan Monday $7 Dinner Challenge

11. BossyGirl says:

Happy Anniversary chica!!!! A good marriage is all about communication and it sounds like you guys have it!!!!

12. Tiffany says:

Yayyy Happy Anniversary! You guys are so super cute together. Our anniversary was in June. We always take a week off for an extravagant trip. Can't wait until next year!
    My recent post When Husbands Wear Heels

13. Nikki says:

Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful couple!

14. Johanna says:

Happy Anniversary to you. Wishing you health, happiness and many many more years together.

15. Kevin Jones says:

Happy Anniversary to the both of you. Its amazing reading how wonderful your marriage is and its a blessing. I wish you many more years of happiness. Congrats again.

16. Happy anniversary! Here's to a hundred MORE!
    My recent post Photo Friday

17. TheProDiva says:

Awww! Happy Anniversary guys! I wish you many more years of happiness!
    My recent post My Happy Playlist

18. Thank Q says:

All together now…. Awwwwww!!!! Charli, this is great! I want to wish you and the G-Man many more just like the first year! The two of you are models for others to follow and are a constant reminder that "marriage works" if you want it to. Congratulations!
    My recent post TQ Presents… Tiffany from The Chocolate Knot

19. Cam | Bibs & Baubles says:

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics. :)
    My recent post Bootie(fully) Wedged

20. modernmarriedchick says:

Happy anniverary to you three (gotta include The Dog!). Many more years of love and happiness to come!
    My recent post Starting Over: Downsized — But Not Down And Out

21. Happy Anniversary chica! It only gets better! (If you can imagine that.)
    My recent post Think Pink!

22. ashley says:

Happy anniversary more power and god bless always! on your married life..
    My recent post retractable window awnings

23. Happy anniversary! I love your wedding pictures too. We're only at the 5 month mark as of yesterday but I'm glad I married my best friend too :)
    My recent post Quarter Life Crisis: WTF Am I Doing?

24. happy anniversary to your beautiful couple!