What Made Him Marriage Material?

heartsThe other day I posed a question on Twitter and Facebook that wound up being a very popular one. The question: What’s the number one reason you married your spouse? I knew it would be a tough one – it’s hard to pick just one top reason you love your soul mate – but I heard some great answers none the less. I shared that my reason was because I realize my husband was and is my true best friend. That has always been something that means more than words to me.

Life won’t always be easy. When times are tough and trying, it’s important to have a true friend by your side. Yes, he’s my husband, but he’s also the one person in this entire world who completes me, understands me, and makes a bad day okay, often instantly. Because he’s my best friend he always tells me the truth, whether I like it or not, he knows what I’m thinking before I even part my lips, and he knows how to make me happy when no one else can.

I could write a laundry list of reasons my husband was and is 100 percent marriage material but I’d much rather hear your top reasons, and share some of the awesome ones that were already shared with me. So ladies, if you had to name your top reason for marrying your husband what would it be? And why was that most important to you? Is it why you said yes when he asked you to be his wife?

Some of my favorite “reasons” that were shared:

Taiisha Bradley said: “He has loved me since I was a kid! 17 years chasing me, lol”

Andrea Kane said: “Because together we are complete.”

Kim Ulmanis said: “His bad-ass sense of humor. I need someone who can keep up with my sarcastic banter and he can.”

Okay, your turn. List one, if you can. ;-)

P.S. Jocelyn over at Science of Marriage Blog does a great recurring round up of Reasons She Married Her Husband and it’s a must read. Check it out now and tell her Man Wife and Dog sent you, okay?

This entry was posted in Hot Topics, Married Life. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What Made Him Marriage Material?

1. Jessica says:

He makes the best chocolate chip pancakes. Seriously, pancakes are marriage-worthy, right?
    The blog looks terrific!

2. Eve says:

What a great post and idea! My answer….. is because he believes in me even when I don't believe in myself.
    My recent post Two Truths and a Lie

3. Amber says:

I'm with you.. I think it takes a best friend :) Great post and cute blog too! #commenthour
    My recent post What I'm Loving Wednesday!

4. carol anne says:

Because my heart will always know his heart.
    My recent post 365 Days of Carol Anne (Courage Edition)

5. @preshusme says:

Because he's the only guy I've ever met that can put up with me! I'm a difficult girl and he can handle it :)
    My recent post Wordless Wednesday – August 3, 2011

6. nylse says:

because he accepts me warts and all; i knew from the beginning he was the one because he was so sincere in his love…i on the other hand was totally clueless – but his love felt so good…i hope that makes sense
    My recent post Progress

7. I.White says:

The tremendous amount of potential I saw in him and he saw in me. Oh, and he thinks I am a superwoman!
    My recent post Go Jordan, It's Your B-day!

8. Allison says:

The number one reason I married my husband is because he makes me a better person! He pushes me to be better because he knows I can… :)

9. What a wonderful post and question. It really helps to remember your reasons especially when stuff gets tough. My reason is that My husband has never been afraid to stand up to me and tell me no. Even though I hate that word it is critical for my "gimme, gimme, gimme" personality.

10. I married my husband because he's my best friend too. I tell him everything and feel the most comfortable around him. He tells me what I NEED to hear. He provides for me. He protects me. He's just THAT MAN.
    My recent post Marriage Chat Recap: Roles in Marriage