Just Asking: How Often Do You Say I Love You?

i love you noteMy husband said “I love you” first because I was too chicken to do it and I waited him out. Once he said it, I started saying it back, and there’s been nothing but “love” between us ever since. In fact, I’m starting to notice just how often we use the phrase “I love you.” We use it as a salutation: “Morning, love you!” We use it to show gratitude by adding it behind a “thank you.” We use it to say goodbye. We use it to say sorry…

To be honest we use it like six or seven times a day, occasionally two or three times in one phone conversation. When I spell this out it sounds sort of extreme to me, but if you were a fly on our wall listening in, I swear you’d think that though frequent, our use of the phrase “I love you” was always natural and appropriate.

On the other hand we spend times with lots of different couples and I don’t think I’ve ever heard some of them use the phrase to each other. Not saying they don’t say it; just saying not enough for a close friend to notice. Yet, they’re still obviously happy and in love.

It’s no secret that every couple has their own way of communicating. “I love you” is a huge part of our communication, but again, that’s just what works for us.

What works for you? How often do you say “I love you” to each other? Could you say it more, or less? Do you use the phrase in different ways?

This entry was posted in Hot Topics, Married Life. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Just Asking: How Often Do You Say I Love You?

1. bossygirl1980 says:

We say a couple of times aday..

2. Summer says:

Every since 9/11 I make it a point to say "I love you" to those I care about as much as I can. I travel a lot for work, and when I'm sitting on the plane (I know this is morbid), I often feel grateful knowing that no matter what happens the people in my life know my last words to them had meaning. I don't let my boo go to bed/leave the house/get a new haircut without saying it. Funny enough, the hardest person to get onboard with this was my dad. He's not the touchy-feely type, but I've worn him down over the years, so now he mutters it uncomfortably every time we get off the phone together, lol.

3. I.White says:

We say it a couple of times a day. We only say it when we truly mean it though. Yes, we are married and in love, but sometimes I found myself just dropping the word just beacuse. It turned into something I said a million times a day without truly meaning it. I say it when I feel the energy of love flowing through my veins, I say it slowly…most often it's with a hug so we can really feel the connection.
    My recent post Pregnancy: The Best & Worst

4. Pete says:

I feel that you can never say it enough if you really mean it! Trust me when I tell you, you'll miss saying it to them when there gone! R.I.P. Tammy Wright! I still love you!

5. Charlene says:

We're also a "say it early and often" kind of family. Lots of "I love you's" throughout the day between me and hubby and the kids too.
    My recent post Basking in Appreciation for the Mundane

6. Chelle says:

I think saying "I love you" throughout your day really lets the other person know that you care and you're thinking about them. So often as a marriage goes on, you forget this small gestures and forget how sweet it is to hear those words.
    My recent post Super Lux Invites

7. Tiffany In Houston says:

At least twice as day, once when I drop him off at work and before we go to bed at night.
    My recent post What Not To Wear

8. Dani says:

we say it a lot throughout the day. i love it.
    My recent post Really?

9. We are always saying it. I love him a lot….so I tell him a lot. : )

10. I tell him I love him all the time! I try to let him know every time I see him.

11. nylse says:

we say it often. i never heard it growing up so i make sure to say it.
    My recent post Grateful

12. Vicki says:

I say I love you all the time … I never want him to forget it :-)
    -Vicki http://myvickiliciouslife.blogspot.com/
    My recent post Do It Anyway

13. Darren Miller says:

I love this post!
    My partner and I say 'I love you' all the time. We ensure that we tell each other when we truly feel it, from the bottom of our hearts. For example, when she does something that makes my stomach flutter and my heart skip a beat, I will tell her I love her.

We also say it before we go to bed at night or when we leave the house. You never know what could happen, and I know that if something bad were to happen to my partner, the last thing she heard me say was 'I love you'.

It is important to say it when you mean it. I know some people who will tell total strangers that they love them. I believe this decreases the value of these three special words.

Thanks for the comment love Darren! I'm glad you found something you can relate to. I believe there is just SO much power in the phrase "I love you"…so much!

14. Jinx says:

Interesting that all the comments are from people who say it… We never say it – I don't really know why, but we don't, but we show it all the time in the things that we do for each other, and that seems to be enough for both of us. You also mention that you have friends who yo have never heard say it – they may say it all the time when in private – just a thought – but, when you think about your blog about the nosy bint in the coffee shop over hearing and giving you her opinion, not all conversations are for other people to hear. (we both firmly believe that a private life means just that! :D)

15. bestessay says:

Just asking why and how you can say to me that you love me. It is the reciprocal feeling that i love you too. It is potent and rightly suggested. It i is enduring and arranged with the primal and oriental terms. It is subsequently applied and consumed. It is potent and rightly applied form of the success and assessment.