MAN VS. WIFE: There Is A “Right Way” to Load the Dishwasher

the right way to load a dishwasherRant Alert: I’m about to spend about 300 words going off about something many of you could care less about. I get that, and I’m warning you ahead of time to stop reading now if you just throw your dishes into the dishwasher any old way. I may appear unbelievably anal to you if you keep reading…

Okay now that all that’s out of the way, let’s get down to business. I’m not a neat freak, by far, but I do believe there should be some organization involved when it comes to how dishes are placed in the dishwasher. The Man on the other hand does not. Whenever he’s on kitchen duty (which is admittedly more than I am) he literally just places any dish anywhere it fits. This means fragile glasses I carefully sought out at multiple Pier 1 Imports go on the bottom rack next to giant frying pans, and forks get thrown loosely up top where they can fall down and disable the washer mid-cycle.

When I open it up to unload behind him my jaw drops. It’s like a tornado struck inside. WTF? Really? He may not care that I paid way more than I should have for some of those dishes, but I sure do. If I had only asked him a few times to do it my way (aka “the right way” in my head) I wouldn’t be taking to the blog to vent, but I’ve seriously asked him hundreds of times to at least try it my way. Alas, nothing!

This weekend he goes “who says your way is the right way?” He then goes on to flaunt the fact that only one dish has broken on his watch. Highly annoyed, I reloaded it my way and took this photo. Now, ladies, I ask you. Is this not a more proper way to load a dishwasher? Am I crazy? It’s cool if you think so. But at this point, I’m going to need someone other than my hubby to set me straight. Otherwise, I may go postal if I pull down that door and see mass chaos again.

Verdict?

This entry was posted in Man vs. Wife, Married Life, The How-To Guide and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to MAN VS. WIFE: There Is A “Right Way” to Load the Dishwasher

1. Man Dog Wife says:

2. OMG! My Husband gets on me all the time about this!!! He swears that this EXACT WAY you have loaded the dishwasher is the right way; and is doing his "I told you so Dougie" in my face as we speak! As crazy as I think you both are…clearly you guys are not alone. But hey we all have our quirks, I hate hangers that are in the opposite direction.

3. Anique says:

THANK YOU!!! THERE IS A RIGHT WAY TO LOAD THE DISHWASHER!! The man to this wife stays putting pots and pans on the top rack! What in the heezy?!! Plates and dishes go on the bottom glasses and more fagile things go on the top. I rant in agreement.

4. nylse says:

there is a right way…if you look in the manual it actually provides instructions on how to do so. Perhaps he would defer to the manual. Or just tell him the glasses and fine things go on top. I don't like washing pots in the dishwasher – I find everything else does not come clean.
    Do you run the dishwasher every day, or only when its full?
    He should take a bit more care and you shouldnt get so bent out of shape about it.
    My recent post Independence

5. Um, there is a right way to load thank ya much. Some chaos is one thing but rule #1 to me is MAKE SURE GLASSES ARE ON TOP! *phew* Sometimes when we're packing things in we get a little chaotic but for the most part everything is neatly organized for effective cleaning. *sigh* Men. LOL
    My recent post Sparring with Mother Nature

6. kita says:

Lol I am usually the one that gets yelled at by my hubs because I never load correctly I just throw stuff in the dishwasher. He yells at me and has shown me at least 20 times but I never do it right.
    My recent post Comparing two companies

7. Tia says:

There is definitely a right way to load the dishwasher! If stuff breaks — even one thing MAN! — then the other person wins and you should load it their way! LOL

8. Jess says:

You're right. 100% correct. I feel the exact same way about dishes and the way they need to be put in the dishwasher. My husband throws everything in which ever way it'll fit. Many a bowl has been chipped, but still the argument wages on. Nice to know I'm not the only person who is crazy about this, lol.

9. TheProDiva says:

Sis, I have to be honest with you. I suck at loading the dishwasher. My hubby has chastised me on more than one occasion not loading the dishwasher in a manner that allows the most dishes to get in at once. He fusses, but he doesn't reload them! My response to him….if you don't like how I do it, do it yourself! Which never really happens. So at the end of the day, I WIN! I feel your pain though, just like I feel his. I just can't get it right!
    My recent post Summertime Nostalgia

10. howdoyoupronouncethat says:

My sister and her husband have this "discussion" all the time. It's quite entertaining to hear them "discuss" the issue.
    My recent post I should have pelted him with bacon

11. Quiana says:

Lol! Yes, this is a common issue isn't it?! I especially like the scene in Rachel Getting when they have a dish loading competition. Hilarious! I'm anal like nylse above and actually read my manual (I have a Viking dishwasher and surprisingly, I learned a lot!).
    My recent post It's Time? Deciding to Wean

12. I am sorry for interrupting your women talk, but surprisingly to you I will not take the man's side on this. I also find this procedure quite important (don't laugh please), so I spend as much time as needed but I want the dishes and everything to be properly placed before turning on the machine. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo proof yet, but the fact that my girlfriend has not complained yet, makes me think I am doing it right. And to answer your question I find your stacking perfectly fine, I try to do it similar to your "design". So, see not all men are the same, what do you think :)) I will send soon a picture to say what I mean :D

13. I am just wondering why you are using the dishwasher. Washing them by hand will take less time and the results will be the same. Plus, a dishwasher might pale the dishes and cups. I got a few tea cups with logos and they are all white now, because of dishwashing. So now I do everything by hand. And it's a way to relax. It sounds crazy, but just doze off and wash :D.

14. Mary says:

Men care less about how to put the dish properly in the dish washer, my boyfriend is like that. So, sometimes, I rather just do it myself.

15. Clayton says:

all I want to say is I know as well there is a right and wrong way and I flippen hate the way my wife loads the dish washer its like u said any old place it fits……her mom is the same way.as well as my two sisters it drives me crazy…..and in fact if u load it right the first time u can get much more in there as well…ps her cubborads are the same way any place it fits… and she wonders why I get pissed off when I cant find the glasses or the coffee cups…let alone the sippy cups for the kids

16. clay says:

how do I get her to change her ways????????????

17. Those dishes look fine to me… Ask yourself did the dishes get clean??? If the answer is "yes" there's nothing to argue or "correct way" about…

18. tid says:

My husband always says that I put the dishes incorrectly into washing machine, but I try my best!!

When I put them too tight, he puts them loose, when I put them loose, he puts them tight. I'm afraid to do the dishes now…. I'm trying to do dishes when he is not at home even….

Today I put them just perfect, with the perfect distance, I was checking on it and doing my best… But Lucian did not like it still, he went and rearranged all of them, again, like punishing me for something…. I'm tired of this….

don't think that dishes are a real reason of his picking on me, he just likes arguing…. And I don't like arguing…. I was taking his comments about the dishes for 8+ years, but I ain't going to take them anymore.

I don't want him to tell me anything about the dishes no more.

Also, our washing machine has sterilization effect, it boils all the dishes, so all bacterias are dying, and we are using organic soap — what can go wrong???????……

I'm so sad he is doing this to me all the time, trying to put me down and to humiliate me….

19. Cat says:

Ummm… I load like your husband so I can't tell (drives my husband crazy though!) but just wanted to tell you for a future blog; it's hélas, not Alas.. Keep venting! ;)

20. Denise says:

Yes, there IS a right way to load the dishwasher.