Question: Are You Giving Your Husband What You Expect From Him?

marriage tug of war couple tug o war

I had to check myself last night. I realized there I was sitting on the couch moaning and groaning about what my husband hadn’t done that day and it hit me – like a sucker punch – oh my God, I haven’t done jack either!! (#fail) Isn’t it amazing how we can sometimes ask for more than we’re actually giving back? What’s fair in that arrangement? Back when I was a single girl and dating I used to always say that I wanted to be as much a quality woman as the quality man I was in search of. It’s imperative that we remember not to expect more than we’re willing to give. I think back then I was totally 100 percent on top of giving my best self to Gibran, but these last few weeks I’ve been slipping.

How dare I ask why he hasn’t unloaded the dryer when I haven’t even loaded the dishwasher? Can I seriously get on him about not saving when I just splurged TWICE in one week on clothing? I can’t. I shouldn’t. And, I’m damn sure not going to do it anymore. Reality check, cashed. Honey, I’m so sorry I forgot to practice what I always preach. At my alma mater, Spelman College, we have a school saying we had to repeat constantly during our four years: “To whom much is given, much is expected.” I was given the gift of a wonderful, loving, and supportive husband and I can’t allow myself to forget that for longer than a minute or two here and there. (We’re all human, so of course taken the person we love for granted momentarily can and will happen.) I owe it to my husband, my marriage, and myself to be all I can truly be in my marriage and to beware of what I’m asking of the one I love and how that compares to my own actions.

Just some real talk for today. Ladies, are you giving as much as you expect within your marriage? It’s not a bad question to ask, really. Curious what you have to say about this one.
Bye for now girls!

This entry was posted in Married Life, Wifey Wisdom and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Question: Are You Giving Your Husband What You Expect From Him?

1. Tiffany says:

You are so right! I always try to stop & think before I start complaining about something he has or hasn't done. Thinking before speaking saves a lot of arguments!
    My recent post Vacation Food

2. integratedmemoirs says:

I need to keep this post in mind for the future…thanks!
    My recent post The Ring The Non-Frightening Edition

3. Laura says:

I have to say my husband is very guilty of this…he is so concerned with "dictating" tasks to me that he neglects (and very often takes for granted) everything that I am constantly doing for him. It is frustrating for sure but I think in marriages one person often ends up being the nag.

4. Thank, Q says:

I feel funny for commenting since this appears to be addressing women only. LOL! I think it's great that you realize that it does take two. So many people enjoy pointing the finger and don't realize that they're not giving their all either. Great post.
    My recent post Racial I.D.

5. Alexa Perez says:

I think I am but I am not sure what my husband would tell me if I will him about that. This post of yours really has the sense to read. Very helpful for me. Thanks!
    My recent post MLM lead

6. jassica says:

For your own constant stressing and guidance of kids we now have made gentle rubber perform area no slip floors. Kids who are usually of higher hazard and therefore are naught are now being well kept by this particular. If the children fall about this flooring they're not going to get hurt as well as your worry is actually saved for another thing.SOFT RUBBER PLAY AREA NON SLIP FLOORING

7. jassica says:

This organic rubber linen has superb material just due to the good properties that are physical within nature.natural rubber sheet

8. I want this type article that is editing services, mostly helpful with me, who wants improve a lot then use this article.Which is the good informative such a type of editing articles keep it up same way in future also.

My recent post Click one of the post titles above to include it at the end of your comment