An Open Letter To The Guys Who Ask Why We Can Not Be Just Friends

bad pickup lines single guysDear Pushy Men On The Street I Wish I Hadn’t Encountered,

Let’s get right down to the obvious question here. Did you not see my wedding ring? Or is it just easier to pretend you didn’t as you walk up to me with some ultra lame line (like: Are you texting me? Cause my batteries dead right now.) when clearly I saw you eyeing me for like two minutes before you made your approach? No, I’m not mad that you’re interested (nice to know I’ve still got it, thank you!) but I am more than slightly annoyed by the fact that once you’ve clearly seen that I’m no longer on the market you find it necessary to discuss a “friendship” anyway. Exactly which kind of friends are we supposed to be? The kind that meet up for lunch? Nope, I have a long list of girlfriends I’ve been dying to dine with and with whom I’d much rather spend the time. The kind that send each other funny text videos or jokes and go back and forth on Twitter? Nope, again. Did I not mention I was married? I can barely get back to the people who text or Facebook message me now. The kind that talk about their love lives and share advice? Yeah well judging from the way you’re looking me up and down like I’m a filet mignon on a platter at your favorite restaurant, I doubt you really want to hear me talk about how much I love my husband all afternoon. So again I ask, exactly what kind of “friends” are you asking that we be?

Just in case you missed the memo when I blogged about creeps like you awhile back, let me break it down for you one good time. The diamond on my left hand ring finger is a badge of honor. It means I’ve had my fill of “friends” like you in my life and was blessed enough to find a man who wanted to be way more than that to me. It means that I felt the exact same way about him too so I said “yes” and promised in front of God and a whole bunch of other folks we know and love that I would love him and only him forever. It also means that there’s a 100 percent chance I’m not interested in throwing that all away for you. So, I ask you: When I let you get away with pretending you didn’t know I was married when you walked up to ask my name and then I politely pointed out that fact to you sans ‘tude, why didn’t you just hold on to some ounce of your fleeting pride and stop right there, wish me well, and keep on walking? Instead you proceeded to ask what I’m sure most married women would agree is the dumbest question of them all. “Can’t we be just friends?” Hell no, buddy! I found my prince, he had my glass shoe, and I’m still trying to figure out what on earth makes you think I’d risk losing all that to be “just friends” with you? Get it together please!

Thanks,

Wives Across the World

This entry was posted in Married Life, Wife Gripes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to An Open Letter To The Guys Who Ask Why We Can Not Be Just Friends

1. Twitter Bestie says:

Yessssssss! You betta tell'im!

2. Lucky says:

Just tell them you have genital warts.

3. Kim says:

I have no problem with having male friends and neither does my husband but if some creep is trying to put the moves on me like that douche then all chance at friendship ends right there. They want to be "friends" in the hope that you'll wake up one morning and realize that this guy is better and you should leave your husband. File that under, "Oh HELL NO!"

I may struggle and fight and even sometimes dislike my husband but I made a commitment to him and to him alone. I honor and respect my vows 150% and some fly by night creep with a horny agenda will NOT change that. Period.

Good for you for sticking up for yourself!
    My recent post Blogger Meltdown – Response and Follow Up

4. Jenna says:

Love this! Thanks for standing up for the wives (and against the creepers) of the world!
    My recent post Landlord Lamentations

5. Quincy says:

Well, I'll play devil's advocate (since I've been told I'm good at it). When I was single, I would make efforts to "friend" married women because some married women love playing the role of matchmaker. I had more access to single women through married women. Now, I'm sure the guy with the lame text messaging line had other intentions, but there are some guys who may "use" married women in a different way. So, although most guys just want a "free ride," there are some guys actually have a strategy to dating with assists from married women. Just throwing that out there! :)
    My recent post Whos Next In Line

6. Josef says:

LOL… I usually avoid married women… Well there was that one time… Oh yeah and the second time after that…

:-O

7. Jami says:

Wahoo! You get em! It cracks me up generally, well not now in my hormonal pregnant state.

I will say that one of my longest and closest best friends is a guy but um, we call him my gay best friend who isn't gay. Todd has 0% insecurity about it. He was about a 10% before he met him from the stories and stuff my family and I talked about.

8. Allison says:

You tell 'em girl!! Love it!!
    My recent post Hard At Work

9. tammy says:

My response is usually something along the lines of, "If I was yours would you want me to be friends with someone like you?", and give them the blank stare. They usually say no and walk away in shame….

10. Just tell them you have genital warts.

11. Assignment and education are interrelated and connected. The prospects of the better production of the literature is enhanced and making the lives of the students very dynamic and versatile. The variety is ensured and mad possible for the ascertainment of the goals and set aims.

12. dfna.info says: