VLOG: The Man Weighs In On The Engagement Chicken Phenomenon

engagement chicken recipeNow they say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach but does that road lead all the way to marriage? It’s an age-old question really. Can your cooking making him fall madly in love? Since I ‘m not a very good cook and The Man married me I don’t usually give this one too much thought, but tonight that changed when our newly single next door neighbor invited my husband and I over for dinner and announced that she had made “engagement chicken” for dinner.

In case you haven’t heard of it before, engagement chicken is a phenomenon that came about over 25 years ago in the offices of GLAMOUR magazine. Back then a GLAMOUR editor gave her assistant this particular roasted chicken recipe to cook for her then boyfriend and he loved it so much he proposed just one month later. After that it was passed down through the office over the years and then a few years back the magazine published it and shared it with the world. Afterward hundreds of women (including celebrities) began to swear by its results.

Now let me just say I don’t really buy this at all (feels so 1950s doesn’t it?) AND I don’t doubt my wonderful neighbor’s intentions for even a second. However, when she told us that’s what she made I did find myself watching my husband scarf down two plates worth of it and thinking: “Really!?! No way!” So, I of course, being a journalist, felt the need to quiz him (with rapid fire) about this “phenomenon” – on camera! Here’s The Man’s first vlog. I’m very much looking forward to your reactions on this one ladies. Do you think a meal could make a man propose? Let ‘em rip! (P.S. If you’re curious, here’s the official engagement chicken recipe.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxyDivnQGU[/youtube]

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in Food and Recipes, VLOGs and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to VLOG: The Man Weighs In On The Engagement Chicken Phenomenon

1. Krysten says:

I may have to try that recipe, sounds like a good way to my man's heart ;-) And it sounds kind of delish as well. Thanks for dropping by my blog!

2. alovelydai says:

You guys are too cute!!!

Engagement chicken is a folklore. The hubby agrees (I asked LOL). He also says that being able to cook may be just one more bonus point or icing on the cake an already great relationship. He also says that although I'm a great cook it had no bearing on whether he'd marry me or not. In all, he agrees with The Man.
    My recent post Post It With Love Homework

3. Andrea says:

Love this! I've never heard of engagement chicken, but I'm going to get my sister to try it out on her boyfriend. (She's pushing for him to propose.) I can say that this must be a myth, though, because I have a lot of married girlfriends who can't/don't cook at all.

And you guys are so cute I can't stand it! I love how husband made sure to say that he thinks you're a good cook.

4. The Student says:

I feel sorry for the desperate women who actually believe this crap!!! Thanks for posting the recipe though…once I read it, I realized I've been making engagement chicken all along. Probably the first time I made it was about 5 years before my husband proposed. Hmph! :)
    My recent post What is the State of YOUR Union

5. ayren says:

love this!

6. Austin Girl says:

There may be some truth to this; men love to eat!! ;)
    My recent post The word rice is found in the word licorice

7. the MRS. says:

Ok I think I want to make this now….
    It seems a little old fashion that a man would propose because of chicken…EXCEPT my husband LOVES that I cook. He even thinks I am a good cook. So I am curious….experiment maybe???

Happy Monday!

♥ theMRS
    My recent post The thing is- I like being right

8. LionGIrl says:

I do not know about doing it for a guy, but if a guy wants a good way to my heart, it is definitely his cooking! Since I love food, I will love it if he can cook! A single lady speaks her mind! Yeay!
    My recent post Introducing Kunming in China for Travelers in Quest of New Horizons

9. Jenna says:

Ok, so I love your Hubby's vlog. You two are so cute!

What I have heard about this engagement chicken is that it's not necessarily the chicken that makes the guy want to propose. It's that seeing his girlfriend cook something like engagement chicken shifts his paradigm about her and the relationship. It helps turn a girlfriend into a wife in the guy's mind. Not sure if that's true but…that's the word on the street.
    My recent post Not Doing What I’m Supposed to Be…

10. Pingback: Response to “VLOG: The Man Weighs In On The Engagement Chicken Phenomenon” - Geek.Girl.Wife

11. ManWifeDog says:

My girl Serenity over at Geek.Girl.Wife (a must read!!!) just posted this awesome video response to this. It's so awesome! Check out her Man, sitting on their couch, with their Dog also responding to the #engagementchicken phenomenon! Love!!

[youtube GVHHfen-d_k&feature=channel_video_title http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVHHfen-d_k&feature=channel_video_title youtube]
    My recent post Love Homework- This Week Revisit An Old Memory Together

12. integratedmemoirs says:

I agree with what your husband said. Food alone can't make a man propose; if that was the case, so many women would be married, LOL!

Seeing that I don't eat chicken, I won't be making any "engagement" chicken at all. However, Joseph does request my grits all of the time :)
    My recent post The Movement Televised

13. lilzbear says:

I saw this recipe years ago, and since marriage was the last thing on my mind then, I didn't give it a second glance. Now that I am reminded of it again, two things cross my mind: It looks pretty yummy, so I'd like to make it, regardless of what it is called. And it does sound a little hooey, but I wouldn't scoff at any lady who made it for that purpose. Sometimes when we are comfortably married, we forget all the crazy things we used to do when we weren't :).
    My recent post April Showers and Lollia

14. Lindsey says:

I was just telling someone the other day that cooking won't win a man, but it will keep him.

15. Sara says:

Do you have the recipe??

Visiting from SITS comment hour

16. Joelle says:

No time to watch this now, but I'll be back later! You're blog is absolutely adorable!

xoxo,
    Joelle
    My recent post Food I likes it

17. Single Life 2 Married Wife says:

YEA!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!! Just love your blog!
    My recent post National Grilled Cheese Month!

18. Karolina says:

stopping by for comment hour. I heard of this a few years ago on the magazine's website….very interesting:)
    My recent post Thankfulness Project Monday

19. Kristen says:

funny….I think a lot of men are just attracted to the idea that homecooked chicken evokes :) It sets a good mood.
    My recent post Toddlerness

20. attorney2be says:

I'll try it when I actually want a husband. LOL. Don't want to jinx myself.

21. Mrs. Jen B says:

I love that Ina Garten took credit for a recipe like this, too!
    My recent post Lemon Olive Oil Pound Cake

22. larsinnh says:

Great blog. I read about this chicken recently, on the internet somewhere. came over from the SITS comment hour.

23. cabrini haynes says:

I'll try it when I actually want a husband. LOL. Don't want to jinx myself.

24. Well, if chicken soup can cure a cold, then maybe there is something to this! LOL!

25. Kimberly says:

Sounds like a good recipe but I don't believe for a second that it makes a man propose!
    My recent post Eleven Wonderful Years

26. Kari says:

Here form #commenthour. My soon-to-be hubby is the cook in our relationship so I know that didn't draw him to me. I would love it if you could stop by my blog Newlyweds on a Budget http://www.morganandkari.com

Kari

27. foundthemarbles says:

You guys are too funny. Keep the vlogs coming!
    My recent post Celebrities who Give- Idina Menzel &amp Taye Diggs

28. Holly says:

I think it's true: if you can cook (and your man can't), it's a selling point. So to speak. ;) Cute!
    My recent post What I did all day

29. Carrie says:

I've been wondering what "engagement chicken" is~ now I know! I'll have to check out the recipe. Not that I want to get engaged again (love my hubby!) but I wonder if it's anything like the "Greek Chicken" we make when anyone is feeling sick in our house. Works like a charm. #CommentHour

30. Ginger says:

You two are so cute! I agree with the Man. Chicken wouldn't do it for me either.
    My recent post working mom- trying to make it all work – intro

31. Amy says:

I've already landed my man but I plan on making this chicken to keep him. LOL

Seriously, I do a version of this myself. It's good!

32. pawsitivegirl says:

I am sooo happy your man said the men were planning to propose anyway! Gives me hope since most of the men I have dated cook better than I do!!! ;)

33. Austin Girl says:

What a great story on how the engagement chicken came about. Very cool. You have an amazing blog going. I love it!!! Big Fan!! #commenthour

34. TheProDiva says:

HA!!! I have never heard of engagement chicken! I thinks its total BS as well, but definitely something to talk about! Great VLOG Sis!
    My recent post Diva Spotlight

35. @TryItMom says:

I have a friend who is currently cooking insane gourmet meals every night hoping for a proposal. Sadly, it seems a waste of her time (except for enjoying her yummy food).
    My recent post Wordless Wednesday- I Can Do That!

36. amyradish says:

That's hilarious. I'm going to make it and ask my husband what he thinks.

Stopping in from #CommentHour!
    My recent post Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

37. ManWifeDog says:

Ha! If you do please blog about it and let me know!! ;-)

38. Meg O. says:

Adorable! What a yummy recipe!

Stopping by from #commenthour! -Meg

39. Pingback: I love the SITS | Life Once Make It Worth

40. Pingback: » Response to “VLOG: The Man Weighs In On The Engagement Chicken Phenomenon” Journey To Us

41. Pingback: I love the SITS

42. najeebaansar says:

thanks for sharing visit my blogs too
    delightfullcookbook.blogspot/com
    cookingdelightt.blogspot.com

43. Well, if chicken soup can cure a cold, then maybe there is something to this! LOL!

44. Jac says:

Catering Equipment – If you need equipment for your business and wish to look at leasing then contact Akro Catering Equipment now, we offer easy ways to lease your new equipment using Kennet Equipment Leasing.