I Should Never Have Said That! (Why We Banned This Phrase)

banned in our marriage signOkay here’s a look at what an oopsie conversation used to look like at home in our living room.

Man: Are you watching this? Mind if I change the channel?

Wife:Yes, and yes I do.

Man: Sigh…

Wife: What!?!? You did ask. You know what I could go to the bedroom and watch there since this isn’t live, I guess.

Man: (Bigger sigh)…(teeth suck)..never mind it’s cool.

Wife: What’s with all the huffing and puffing? What’s on your mind.

Man: …(long pause)…well you’re kind of a TV hog and I feel like you should know it’s playoff season and I might want to watch the big TV sometimes. It’s kind of selfish don’t you think?

Wife: (jaw drops) ummm..ok. I’m leaving now and you can watch whatever you want alone.

Man: (biggest sigh yet) Nevermind, I should never have said that!!!

Wife: Now I’m even more mad. You should always tell me how you feel. Good or bad! I’d rather that than you keep secrets.

Man: It’s not a secret!

Wife: If you think I’m annoying and you don’t tell me it’s a secret.

Man: I’m in double trouble land huh?

Wife: You betcha!

Now, after having one too many of these kinds of “oopsie” moments in our relationship, and more recently our marriage, we’ve decided that the phrase “I never should have said that” is now officially banned in our home. We’re doing away with it because it’s implications are far worse than the words that came before it. As I soon got The Man to understand, when you wish you hadn’t said something at all that you did in fact feel it’s as if you’re saying “I never should have been honest with you” and that’s just no good. Every relationship needs honesty. Where are you without it? Just think about all the other things you could say instead that would help the situation instead of hurt it. How about: “I didn’t mean for that to come out that way” or “I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings, I didn’t intend to”? They sound so much better don’t they?

So as of right now neither of us will be using the phrase “I never should have said that” in this house. It’s toxic and it has been banned!

Is there something you wish the two of you wouldn’t ever say to one another?

This entry was posted in Learning the Hard Way, Man vs. Wife and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to I Should Never Have Said That! (Why We Banned This Phrase)

1. Twitter Bestie says:

I love this! The concept of no secrets, good or bad, not the argument (if that's the right word). I love me some y'all! :)

2. amyradish says:

Fantastic idea!

Thanks for stopping by for #CommentHour
    My recent post Ghetto-tastic Stroganoff

3. Jenny says:

In our house it's not "shouldn't have said that" cause we don't really… talk about much xD It's when we say something then go NVM!! then it becomes a big mess an we end up fighting… >.> ahh marriage! xD
    My recent post It’s Haunted!

4. Meredith says:

Totally agree that I should never have said that isn't a sentiment that married couples should have! No secrets, especially when it comes to how you feel about each other!

5. Austin Girl says:

Oh no! Thankfully, this hasn't happened to Wildcat and me. Our disagreements and (sighing) occurs in the kitchen. Talk soon!
    My recent post Project Love

6. LionGIrl says:

I always tell my dear cousin, "I heard that before" or "You said it before." or "I do not want to hear that again." Hahaha! Erm, she did not ban me from saying them and they did not stop her from repeating, one more time (and another)! Haizz….
    My recent post A Brief Introductory Guide to Kunming China

7. JeLisa says:

Kudos to you guys for hashing it out and coming up with an agreement that's best for you two and your marriage!
    My recent post Dear Zavier Month One

8. cv editor says:

The love for the people move in way when we have accurate form of attraction in one another. The life passing accurate way and have true believe on one another. This makes real well form of living.

9. “I never should have said that” I guess I should ban this phrase in my house also :D
    Miley Cyrus instagram