our new living room accent wall decor idea

As I mentioned before, since we’re newlyweds who can’t afford a new house, we’re settling for a new look in ever room in our apartment instead. This month we’re on a mission to transform our living room without breaking the bank. Remember those awful before photos and our cry for (paint) help? Well we completed part one of the big makeover this weekend (Sigh…I’m beat!) and we’re SO proud of how it’s come out! Here’s the rundown of how we got there and some awesome pictures of what we’ve done so far.

Home Depot Shopping

The Colors

Our ugly off-white living room walls needed some love, and we asked you to vote on our new living room color. A whopping fifty-eight percent of you wanted us to paint the walls Mint, and only nine percent of you liked Blue Spruce, our favorite pick, Nineteen percent of you favored butterscotch . What did we end up with? Well it was a (Home Depot) battle until the end, but ultimately we came up with an all around compromise. After deciding that painting the entire room a bright color would take things from boring to crazy we decided instead to create a colorful accent wall and go with a neutral tone for the other walls. When we got to home depot, I fell in love with a new rug that incorporated lots of browns (like our furniture), tans (Gibran’s décor color preference), and blues (the calming color I ultimately hoped to add to the room). Once I saw the rug, the rest just came to me. We headed over to the paint section and decided on Blue Agave (Behr), a sort of sea foam blue green color, for the accent wall and Oat Straw (Behr) for all the other walls. We debated the color combo for hours, but we both felt pretty good about it by the time we got home.

Behr Blue Agave and Oak Straw Paint

The Arrangement

I can’t stand it when a room feels like it’s closing in on you. In the two years we’ve lived in our apartment there hasn’t been a moment when I didn’t think there was something a little off about the living room and dining space layout. It just felt so tight even though the room is quite large. Then on Saturday morning as I was taking some final before shots, it hit me! There was this over-sized cabinet that was totally breaking the flow of the room. I moved it from the middle of the room to its own little corner and just like that it felt like the size of the room had nearly doubled.

The Details

I believe the details make the room, and since we already had all of our furniture in place, I knew I would need some kick-ass wall art to really make the room pop, even with the paint. So we made a stop at Home Goods and Crate and Barrel with the hopes of finding the ultimate piece (or pieces!). Home Good was a bust (though we saw a lot of cute things we couldn’t afford), but Crate and Barrel totally came through. We were exhausted by the time we walked upon these fabulous Banana Leaf Mirrors (Set of 2 $59.95), but I knew we’d found the thing to make the corner of our living room come alive. So we splurged a little and headed home to get to work.

Crate and Barrel Banana Leaf Mirrors

The Final Product

After spending all night painting and all day putting things back, we’re proud to report that the paint is finished and one half of the room is done! (I honestly cannot believe how much we got done in one weekend.) Here are the before and after I just couldn’t wait to share!

Living Room Blue and Tan Makeover IdeaOur living room makeover before and after blue walls
So what do you think? We love it so much we didn’t do anything last night but site there and stare it. The TV never even turned on. Ha! Up next We’re on the hunt for more ways to add wow to our walls, a centerpiece for the coffee table, and details for our crimson and teal dining room vision. (Stay tuned!)

This entry was posted in Decor Ideas and Makeovers and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Our DIY Living Room Makeover Part One: It Is Amazing What A Little Paint And Cork Can Do

1. Tenisha says:

LOVE IT! I I went over to my new neighbor's house yesterday. She's only been there a few months but has done more to her place than I have in almost FIVE years. So, I made me a list. Since I loathe my kitchen and bathrooms, everything's getting a (budge friendly) makeover. First thing, fresh paint and hardware for the cabinets. I'll update (via Twitter) my progress.

Can't wait to see the rest of the makeover! Good job, Man & Wife!

2. alovelydai says:

Looks great!!! Moving the cabinet was a great idea. I'm inspired!

3. @AngryJulie says:

It looks great! I like the blue walls…

4. shineinthesun says:

I love that blue paint color. Everything looks wonderful. I believe my sister has that same brown swivel chair.

5. the MRS. says:

I wish we could paint…if only

My recent post The time we SURVIVED waited out the Kauai Tsnami

6. Tiffany says:

Looks awesome! Love that paint color!
    My recent post Friday Link Love!

7. Kelly says:

looks great girl! I've been looking for some inspiration to my completely egg shell white living room and really want a splash of teal to help captivate the room. Thanks for your post. This helps with the scheme I have in mind! -Kelly from NW Arkansas

8. I used to be recommended this web site through my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this publish is written through him as no one else understand such designated approximately my trouble. You’re incredible! Thank you!

9. m88 says:

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious knowledge regarding unpredicted emotions.

10. Hanix says:

metal beds – The Limelight Epsilon Upholstered bed has been one of Beds on Legs’ top sellers in the New Year and January sales.

11. Hanix says:

bench desks – Our screens are designed to fit perfectly with our ALEO desk range all available online with CEKA today. High quality furniture for a stylish office.

12. Hanix says:

carpets online – Express delivery of all your floorcovering requirements direct to your home, office or construction site

13. Hanix says:

Contact us – Tileflair both live and love tiles. Whether its kitchen, bathroom, wall or floor tiles – turn your ideas into reality. Click here, browse our ranges today!

14. Allenwood says:

Flooring Village – At Flooring Village we aim to make buying Laminate flooring, Aqua-Step 100% Waterproof laminate, Engineered wood, Solid wood, Rugs and all flooring accessories as smoothly as possible.

15. m88 says:

This is really attention-grabbing, You’re an excessively professional blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to looking for
    extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your
    site in my social networks

16. It looks great. I like that light blue color you two went with! THe new carpet really goes nicely with the room too. GO you!

17. Peter says:

Are you fed up of the unprofessional attitude of the locally based painter, and want to find someone who can paint the entire home perfectly? Well, I would recommend you to navigate through the web based directory of painters, and try hiring a friendly service provider quickly.

18. mikel9478 says:

What a transformation, great job!
    My recent post The Benefits Of Painting Your Home

19. Salman says:

With the ability to program a website to tell the google who you are, what you do and where you do it, is just as significant as the google being able to study and catalog content on your website download torrent.