Why Talking About Your Relationship At Work Is A No-No!

work place gossip

I try my best not to. You see your co-workers more than you see your family, so once you’ve started to bond with them you can easily start to feel comfortable opening up. But just how open should we be? Though it can be tempting to chat about the wonders and woes The Man and I share while I stand by the office water cooler I usually avoid it at all costs. It’s just risky business to me. (I’d much rather talk about the Oscars, music, or how much work I have to do.) My coworkers know that I’m married and happy. That’s it! That’s all they need to know. Now at my desk I do have a few wedding photos on display, but again, to me that’s just stating the obvious – I’m a married woman. There’s no need to hide the fact that I have a husband, but the intimate details of our life are off limits.

In my experience gossiping about your love life brings trouble in two forms: 1. If a man brags about being happy at home, the home-wrecking groupies come out to prey. 2. If you’re a woman who talks about having problems at home, the sleaze balls come out to prey. Either way, when this happens if you don’t get things back under control fast you both lose. The Man and I learned this lesson the hard way. Once upon a time he would proudly discuss our love at work thinking that every female who smiled as he spoke had our best interests in mind, and then one day a former coworker tried to take him home for lunch! (Not kidding!) Thankfully, I didn’t have to ask for this information he came home and told me right away. At first I was shocked, but then when he told me he always talked about me and even brought my engagement ring to show off at work before he proposed I realized that it was bound to happen.

Unfortunately I’ve learned that other women (and men!) are more likely to want to steal a good thing from you than to just be happy for you because you have it. I wish it weren’t true, but let’s face it ladies, it is. Now on the flip side, since I’ve worked in the media business most of my career and it’s mostly dominated by women, I haven’t had many male coworkers to deal with on a day to day basis. But if I did, I wouldn’t make a habit of talking about the details of my marriage, good or bad! I stand firm by my beliefs that saying nothing is better than saying anything at all when it comes to love, marriage, and work. Where do you draw the line between business and pleasure?

This entry was posted in Learning the Hard Way, Married Life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Why Talking About Your Relationship At Work Is A No-No!

1. Ida says:

Great point! I'm gonna test myself with this and vow not to bring up my relationship…we can talk kids and the dog…but as a Manager, I def have to make sure I don't open up…what do you think about having co-workers follow you on your personal facebook page?! I had to delete a number of people because of an un-related incident but happy I did since I don't need them to know my business.

2. integratedmemoirs says:

Very insightful! Although I'm not married, I've had my share of downfalls when talking about my relationship, especially since its an interracial one. I've had people tro try and hook me up with others because my relationship wasn't "proper" and all kinds of mess. Now, I keep my mouth shut.
    My recent post White Washed

3. Pingback: How to Handle Yourself at an Office Event! - Event planning DIY and Tips, wedding planning tips | Eventup

4. Talking about the relationships at the work and official place is very difficult and troublesome task. It is always been a tough thing and concept to have and handle. It is implemented without the reformation of the tins and all such concerns. It is the right and exact pathway of the success and triumph. It is formed.

5. Andy Smith says:

When I joined a new office, I heard that it would be risky to disclose your love affair with your colleague because the cynical employer may fire you without giving you warning. Since, my girlfriend was already working at the same place, much before my joining date, so I did not cared about the advises of the rest of the employees. Suddenly, the boss called both of us, and told us to write a resignation letter, as he dislikes our relationship. Since, both of us have deep knowledge about law, we discussed the matter with the employer in a serious tone, and everything became normal between us. We still work at the same place. You may also learn more about your rights an employee by going through the best web resources.

6. RRB says:

It is one of the best articles which I looking for.

7. gyan king says:

Thank you share this information.

8. anujkumar09 says:

Nice post thanks for the information.
    bieap hall ticket 2018

9. stanvenguru says:

Thanks for sharing.
    central government jobs

10. Smeet says:

Here a great info for the all of us that SSC 10+2 Admit Card will be available online for UP Teacher Admit Card so if you have applied for TN police then you can download TNUSRB Hall Ticket online.

11. The candidates can check out following information….

DSSSB Assistant Teacher Admit Card
    TN Police Result

12. thehindus says:

the way of explanation is simply awesome. nice blog post.
    Thehindus.co
    AU Degree results 2018

13. Aman Thakur says:

Such a nice information thanks for sharing this useful information also check Free Online Mock Test

14. examsleague32 says:

Nice post, here you can check out
    ibps recruitment exam calendar, IBPS Recruitment , Join Indian Army, Indian Army Open Rally

15. RRB ALP Technician Notification 2018 Study Material
    RRB ALP Admit Card 2018

RRB ALP Admit Card 2018, RRB ALP Exam Date 2018, 26502 Assistant Loco Pilot/Technician Hall Ticket Download,
    RRB ALP Admit Card 2018

16. deepti yadav says:

This article is really informative and useful as far as I concern and keep going. SSC CHSL Notification

17. bhartiyanaukari says:

Really usefull information thanks http://indiangovtjobs.net/up-scholarship-status/

18. James P says:

I was searching same topic and found this post, thanx for sharing such useful contents.

Download Free Relationship Guide

19. Rasika says:

Many things i have learned from this page. Thanks for sharing
    Diplomaresultonline

20. James P says:

If you are trying to keep your work and private life separate then you need to avoid bringing your private life into the office with you. This means cutting downs on private calls and emails from the office.

<a href="http://how-to-get-your-ex-back.nowforall.com
    /">Download Free Book How to Get your Ex-Back

21. India vs Australia Ranchi Tickets Booking Process and Tickets Rate are announced. Check this website for all the details of India vs Australia Ranchi Tickets booking Online. India vs Australia bangalore hyderabad Tickets
    India vs Australia nagpur Tickets

22. India vs Australia Ranchi Tickets Booking Process and Tickets Rate are announced. Check this website for all the details of India vs Australia Ranchi Tickets booking Online. India vs Australia bangalore Tickets