Let The Living Room Makeover Begin! (Which Color Should We Paint It?)

Since we’re newlyweds who couldn’t afford to move into a new house after we got married we’ve decided that doesn’t mean we can’t give our apartment a whole new look. We’ve been here two years and we’re about to sign on for a third. We need a change! We’re going to embark on the ultimate apartment makeover, and we’re going to pace ourselves and take things one room at a time. Our living room is up first since we spend the most time there. Here are the before pictures. The room is a little Man (neutral earth tones, giant comfy chair, over-sized entertainment unit) and a little Wife (color block rug, round end tables, and glass coffee table) but it’s not at all “us”. So we’re going to try to make it that way before spring hits on March 21st.

our living room makeover before pictures

Up first on the agenda is painting the space. I cannot stand the plain walls. (I’ve never lived anywhere that wasn’t splattered with color and I can’t believe I’ve survived in this room so long without it.) So, we’ve narrowed it down to four color choices (two entries from each of us); blue spruce, mint, scarlet, and butterscotch. Which do you think should win?

The decision will be made by week’s end, but we’re dying for some feedback since we’re at war on this one. Won’t you vote and help us out?

This entry was posted in Decor Ideas and Makeovers and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Let The Living Room Makeover Begin! (Which Color Should We Paint It?)

1. Christina says:

I love, love, love the butterscotch color, and I like the mint too. My hubby are buying our first home (after being married going on three years!) And the butterscotch is the EXACT color we’re thinking about for the living room!

2. whatthegraham says:

I actually think you should to an accent wall with the Blue Spruce and then probably Butterscotch for the rest, maybe a hue lighter, it doesn't look like you have a lot of natural light beyond the sliding door so with all your furniture and wall colors it may feel dark and more closed in.

Obviously I'm no expert but that's where I would go. We did something similar-ish, we are actually going to change our wall color soon (well except for our blue wall)!

3. Karen says:

I've lived in a lot of places and I've decorated (and redecorated!!) a lot of rooms, with just paint!! I also pride myself on having a good sense of color, which has been validated by many friends coming to me with paint swatches.

Anyway…the mint is it, as long as it is the same tone as the green in the rug. In the photo the rug looks more olive, but so does the paint swatch. The green will make the room more "organic" and bring in a feel of the outdoors. (Nothing like a breath of spring during this miserable winter.) May I also suggest a big green plant (darker than the wall) in a great pot to add to the decor, and perhaps add to the "wifeyness" of it!

Enjoy the project!!

4. Jewel says:

My recent post A romantic tiger

We're actually loving all the "just one wall" advice on the board, and I think we're leaning much closer to going that route. The Man will love having to paint three less walls then he'd planned to, and I'll love making that wall one to remember with the right art/decor.

5. ManWifeDog says:

Scarlet's looking good to me right now although clearly Mint is the early favorite! :-)
    My recent post Pet Steals- 7 Incredibly Cute Gifts For Your Pet Under 10 Bucks

6. hallaryduff says:

whiteboard paint
    Pretty section of content, I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. http://eezecleandryerasepaint.com/white-dry-erase

7. Sophiya pena says:

liquid rubber dip
    So informative things are provided here, I really happy to read this post, I was just imagine about it and you provided me the correct information I really bookmark it, for further reading, So thanks for sharing the information. http://www.dreamspaint.com/liquid-rubber-dip/

8. We have just decorated our living room, in a paler version of the Butterscotch you show. If you are going for the scarlet option, I would keep it for one wall, and have all the other walls a pale neutral colour.
    My recent post

9. Peter says:

I think white color is the best idea. Just a quick note to tell you that I have a passion for the topic "Living room painting with beautifully" at hand. Thanks for sharing this post.

10. i think you must use mint to make your living room fresh :)

11. Be the one says: