Di Bezi Photography Man Wife and Dog

No I’m not joking. A recent AP poll revealed some fascinating facts about super-involved pet owners like us. Perhaps the most shocking being that although most pet owners say they would get rid of their pets before losing a spouse or significant other, 14 percent of them would kick their honey to the curb instead. Pause for reaction here. Ladies, apparently we’re the nuts here. According to the article, “women are far more apt than men to say the human-pet choice would be a tough one (40 percent among women compared with 26 percent among men).”

Now, do I love my dog? Hell yeah! Probably a little too much? Sure! But would I send my husband packing just to keep her around? Not a chance. (Sorry Karma!) I will however cop to practicing some of the other crazy habits the poll surveyed animal lovers on. For instance:

“The survey reveals that single people of both genders, but especially single women (66%), were likely to say that their pet is a full member of the family.” – Yes, we are a family of three.

“A great percentage (43%) of pet owners think their pooch or kitty has their own sense of style, with 1 in 5 dressing them up in fashionable attire. That said, results show that ‘Fido’ is more likely to be fashion forward, with almost a quarter (23%) of dog owners saying they’ve purchased an outfit for their pet.” – I don’t put Karma in dresses or jewelry for kicks, but I’d like to think that when it’s cold or rainy out she appreciates a stylish sweater or coat. (Remember the houndstooth cape coat I bought her for the holidays? What’s not to love?

“Human tastes also reach pet tastebuds, with 43 percent of respondents admitting to feeding their pets people food at least sometimes, with more dog owners doing so (48%) than cat owners (40%).” – We commonly save a few leftover for our fur bundle as long as it’s not something spicy or that she could possibly be allergic to. Even our vet admits that there’s very little harm in it. Gibran is even more guilty of this than I am. I don’t think he can ignore those eyes.

“Almost half (49 percent) of respondents have given at least one of their current pets a human-like name, including 51 percent of dog owners and 50 percent of cat owners.” If our dog had a birth certificate it would read “Karma Angel Penn-Watkins”. Full disclosure: The middle and last names were all me. Gibran laughed at me for weeks when I announced that would be her full name. He also joked that I may want a baby sooner than I let on if I keep talking that way. Still, the name stuck. I even proudly had it printed in our wedding programs under the wedding party section. (Hey she was our Dog of Honor.)

So there you have it. We’re I’m about as crazy for our dog as it gets. So sue me. Refreshing to know I’m not alone though.

Got some crazy pet behavior to confess? I know you do. Spill it below!

Photo: Di Bezi Photography

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in Love Thy Pet, News and Notes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Poll Says 14 Percent of Married Pet Owners Would Choose Pet Over Spouse (Say What!?!)

1. Sonia says:

Hilarious! Love the honesty!! Thanks for stopping by. I love your site. It's on my blog roll.

• Gail Burke says:

I feel for you..I have been married only 2 months..my hubbys pug FRED snoores really loud..I have insomnia and take meds to sleep the dog has woken me up many times..I have been in 2 CAR ACCidents so far becasue of the dog..last nite the dog was snooring loud i asked my hubby to put him in another room,,my husband left the room with his dog..anmd slept in the guest room all nite,,,he perfers the dog over me..when he comes home i get a peck on the check the pug gets 1 hour of hugs abd kisses and doenst leave my hubby lap all nite long…help!!!! I may just leave and never come back
      he would not care,,he says they r a package deal..FRED the pug is 13..i cant wait for him to die..sorry i waited 27 years after marriage 1 for someone..not to b treated like this..alone n Florida

2. I LOVE that photo of the three of you…so unique!

3. Gail Burke says:

I came back to let you know, last night my husband was gone all day and night working,,he comes home and is on the sofa hugging his fat ugly PUG..after i put dinner infront of him, i told the dog to move 0ver..i reminded my hubby he married me not the dog..he threw a FIT, refused to eat and said his dog cant think or rationalize so i have to understand this 13 pug needs his affection .I told him I need your affection. He thinks i am being a bitch cause I want to be with him…when i went to bed he came to bed to give me a hug after he put his dong in his bed (the dog sleeps next to him in a dog bed) then at 12:45 am before he turns out the light ..THEN he is ready to hug me. I am very pretty new wife,I did not get married to be alone and ignored becasue his DOG needs his attention. I slept in the guest room My husband did not even care..help advice anyone…

4. Gail Burke says:

well my husband is nicer to me and we ge along better but tis pug is still in the way, now my hubby is afriad the pug may be sick ,,the dog is 13 and has been to the vet 2 tines in 2 months for seriuos illness…it is time for FRED to go to heaven..anyone have any adice?>?>

5. I can confirm that if it came down to my dogs or me, my man would pick the dogs. I love my dogs don't get me wrong, but you have to draw the when my man gives more attention to the dog them me. Makes me wonder who I need to dump? In all seriousness, some people love their animals and when they separate, the fight ensues over who gets what pet. Thank god I have my own cat, she comes with me regardless!

6. Mac says:

buy senior dog food online – Buy dog food, cat food, small animal food you normally obtain from your vet. Buy prescription vet ranges today online from Vets Food World.

7. Jack says:

Galvanised dog run – DogRunPanels.co.uk is an associate company of Easy Animal who are one of the UK’s leading pet websites selling a wide range of products to dog owners.

8. Jack says:

dog beds UK – Probably the world's best dog beds! Tough, practical, luxury, waterproof dog beds that keep your dog warm and dry.

9. amandathomus1 says:

I feel mind dogs but he just never grew up with an inside animal. So when I went to visit him for the one time he didn’t let my pet over spouse to be in the home. http://www.kustomfithalters.com/wordpress/categor