Life’s full of lessons and I’m always learning (sometimes the hard way) and taking notes — especially when it comes to my marriage. We’re only about 3 months in so I expect to fall and get a few scrapes every now and then. And when I do, three things matter most to me: 1. I must clean the wound (communication people!) and put on a band-aid so it can heal. 2. I must reflect on what I tripped on, and how to avoid not doing it again. And 3. I must spread the word to as many wives as possible so that they can watch their steps! So listen up ladies. Here’s a little list of things I’ve learned that you should NEVER EVER EVER call your husband, unless you’re ready to take off those gloves!
- 1. “A Diva” — Sure The Man can sometimes take longer in the bathroom to get ready than I do, but that doesn’t mean that uttering these two words in a fit of oh-my-God-we’re-so-late-come-on-already rage is acceptable, or cute. If you’re looking to get his attention, this will do it. But if you’re hoping to have a good time when you head out – forget it! Mood killer all the way.
- 2. ”Short” — Now I screwed this one up years ago, but the aftermath was so bad that to this day I’m constantly focused on never repeating the word and Gibran in the same sentence again. My husband put it best when he said, “A woman calling her man short is like him calling her fat – would you ever forgive me for calling you fat?” Point taken. (Note: I tried to clean it up by saying, “But you’re taller than me!” Big mistake – huge, mistake! #prettywomanisaclassic)
- 3. ”Chatty” — Now I still don’t fully comprehend why this one makes the list, but I do know that it has something to do with men not ever wanting to be looked at as “gossips”. Apparently this is a description reserved only for us woman and the two are listed as synonyms in any man’s thesaurus.
Okay, that’s it for today’s lesson girls. Hope you took notes! Oh, and in the spirit of the whole always learning thing I keep preaching about: If you have anything to add to this list, please do! I’m starting to get the feeling that I may need to keep a guide and re-post them all occasionally. (Guys, you can speak on it too. Addendums to the list are more than welcome.)
- The Importance of Growing Together (And How We Have Managed to Do It So Far) (manwifeanddog.com)
- A Wife Has A Right to A Ladies Night (manwifeanddog.com)
- This Week In Our Marriage: We Forgot to Make Time For Each Other (manwifeanddog.com)
- Marriage and Holiday Shopping Do Not Mix (manwifeanddog.com)
- A Look Back At Our 11 Favorite Moments From 2010 (manwifeanddog.com)